Search This Blog

Objectives Expressing and responding to future tense expression such as will and to be going to as well as acceptable daily conversations th...

WILL I?



Objectives
Expressing and responding to future tense expression such as will and to be going to as well as acceptable daily conversations that use simple structures in various aspects in daily life. The objective of the lesson is: students are able to express and respond the expression of intention.

Lesson
Look at the following picture, What will they do?
From the picture presented, There are a man and a woman. The woman is chopping the tomatoes and the other vegetables. Perhaps, THEY WILL COOK FOR DINNER.
How about this picture?
........
look at the following clip
Debbie
:
Hi, I'm Debbie.
Lily
:
Nice to meet you, Debbie. My name's Lily. Sit down. Would you like some juice?
Debbie
:
Oh, er, yeah...
Lily
:
Excuse me. Mary. Can I have some juice for my guest?
Debbie
:
Thanks.
Lily
:
Now, tell me about yourself.
Debbie
:
Like what? I'm not very interesting really.
Lily
:
Nonsense. What's that bracelet you're wearing? That's pretty.
Debbie
:
This? Do you like it?
Lily
:
Yes. It's lovely. Do you like clothes and fashion?
Debbie
:
Yeah. Lots!
Lily
:
How nice! So do I!
Pete
:
It's interesting talking to old people. But it's hard work.
Debbie
:
I'm going back next week.
Joel
:
What! But you're the one that...
Debbie
:
I know. But Lily's quite cool. When she was younger she was a fashion designer. I think I quite like the Community Award after all!
“To be continue”
Let’s focus on this clip
I'm going back next week.
These is the example of expressing intention (stating intention).
The following are the expression of asking and stating Intention

Based on the above table we can make some expression of intention such as
·         I'm going back next week.
·         I would like to go back next week
·         I will go back next week
·         I am going to go back next week
here are presented the uses of be going to and will.
BE + GOING TO + VERB base
WILL+ VERB base
When we have already decided or we intend to do something in the future
we are going to study together
For things that we decide to do now
She will finish her work right away
When there are definite signs that something is going to happen
Please bring the umbrella, I jut felt a drop and is going to rain soon
When we think or believe something about the future
Please bring the umbrella, I is cloudy and will rain
When something is about to happen
watch out! The branch is going to fall
To make offer, a promise or a threat
I hope you will join the competition
To make clear and fluent, try to practice it a lot, doing a role play would improve your skill, you can practice the below dialogue.

 Be going to and will is used to express the activity that occurred in the future, we call it Simple Future Tense.

Do You Understand?

FUNCTIONS OF THE SIMPLE FUTURE TENSE
The simple future refers to a time later than now, and expresses facts or certainty. In this case there is no 'attitude'.
The simple future is used:
  • To predict a future event:
    It will rain tomorrow.
  • With I or We, to express a spontaneous decision:
    I'll pay for the tickets by credit card.
  • To express willingness:
    I'll do the washing-up.
    He'll carry your bag for you.
  • In the negative form, to express unwillingness:
    The baby won't eat his soup.
    won't leave until I've seen the manager!
  • With I in the interrogative form using "shall", to make an offer:
    Shall I open the window?
  • With we in the interrogative form using "shall", to make a suggestion:
    Shall we go to the cinema tonight?
  • With I in the interrogative form using "shall", to ask for advice or instructions:
    What shall I tell the boss about this money?
  • With you, to give orders:
    You will do exactly as I say.
  • With you in the interrogative form, to give an invitation:
    Will you come to the dance with me?
    Will you marry me?
Note:In modern English will is preferred to shall. Shall is mainly used with I and we to make an offer or suggestion, or to ask for advice (see examples above). With the other persons (you, he, she, they) shall is only used in literary or poetic situations, e.g. "With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, She shall have music wherever she goes."

FORMING THE SIMPLE FUTURE

The simple future tense is composed of two parts: will / shall + the infinitive without to

Keypoints
When stating an Intention we use simple future form, the pattern are
1.    BE + GOING TO + VERB base
2.    WILL + VERB base
We use the following adverbs of time in simple future tense such as
tomorrow
next …
soon
immediately
right away
this afternoon
tonight, etc.


0 comments: