Search This Blog

EXPRESSING AND RESPONDING TO EMBARRASSMENT Objectives Responding to the meaning in conversation transactional (to get things done) and inter...

EXPRESSING AND RESPONDING TO EMBARRASSMENT


EXPRESSING AND RESPONDING TO EMBARRASSMENT


Objectives
Responding to the meaning in conversation transactional (to get things done) and interpersonal (social) and continued official (sustained) which uses a variety of spoken language accurately, fluently and acceptable in the daily life context which involves speech acts: expressing attitudes towards something, expressing embarrassment.
Learn about it!
In this lesson you will learn about how to express and respond expression of embarrassment in daily life context.
Expressing Embarrassment
Have you ever feel embarrassed?
What is your most embarrassing moment?
Have you ever called a friend and tap his body, then you realize that he is not your friend?
If you were telling something bad about someone then your friend tell you that person was standing right behind you, how would you feel?
Most of you may ever have those experiences. How did you feel at that time? You must feel embarrassed. These situations may be heard so funny, but sometime you will get upset if your friends are laughing at your embarrassing moment, won’t you?
Embarrassment is a feeling being ashamed because of something you have done. It can happen in the past or at the present time. The moment can be so embarrassing so it can make your face is blushing or sweating.
To express embarrassment, you can use the following phrases:
Using exclamatory sentence:
  • What a shame!
  • How embarrassing…!
  • What an embarrassment!
Without exclamatory mark
  • Shame on me
  • I feel awkward
  • I was so ashamed
  • I don't feel comfortable
  • Tell me it never happened
  • It really makes me ashamed
Responding to Embarrassment
To respond this expression, you can use the following phrases, but you should pay attention to its situation:
§
When you feel it heard so funny and you are sure that he or she won’t be mad at you, use these phrases:
  • You are so funny
  • That’s really funny
  • What a funny story!
When you appreciate his feeling, use these phrases:
  • Oh, that's bad.
  • I know how you feel.
  • I'm sorry to hear that.
  • You must be very ashamed.
  • If I were you I would feel the same.
Do you understand?
To understand how to use expressions and responses of embarrassment, read the following conversations:
Conversation 1
(Situation: Dika attends Dina’s birthday with the wrong clothes)
Dika : Happy birthday, Dina.
Dina : Thank you very much. But, why are you wearing a pink shirt?
Dika : Because it's your party. You like pink color then I bought this shirt just for attending your birthday party.
Dina : Oh, I appreciate your effort. Did you read my invitation card? I still remember that the dress code is white.
Dika : Ah, really? I didn't read the card. So, everybody wears white clothes?
Dina : Of course. You are the only one person who wears pink clothes.
Dika : Oh, my God. I don’t feel comfortable. I have to go home.
Dina : It's okay. You don't need to.
Conversation 2
(Situation: Oki got wet because of got into a river)
Wildan : What's wrong with your clothes?
Oki : It's wet.
Wildan : Yes, I know. I mean what happened to you?
Oki : When I walked home, a dog chase after me. I was shock. I ran then I got into a river. There were a lot of people who saw me. How embarrassing it is!
Wildan: Hahaaa!! That’s so funny.
Conversation 3
(Situation: Soni forgot to bring his wallet)
Soni : What a bad day!
Gian : What's wrong? Did something terrible happen to you?
Soni : I forgot to bring my wallet.
Gian : Oh, that's bad. I will lend you some money.
Soni : Not that. I took “Ojeg” this morning and I couldn't pay it.
Gian : So how you paid it?
Soni : That man was angry then I saw Liza. I asked her to lend me money.
Gian : You mean Liza is the girl who you often mock?
Soni : Yes. I have no choice. It was so embarrassing. I should say sorry to her for what I did.
Keypoints
The underline phrases for each conversation show the expressions of embarrassment. So, there is no rule when we have to use one phrase and another phrase. You can use any phrases which have been mentioned above. But, in responding to expression of embarrassment you should pay attention to its situation. Try to keep your friend’s feeling when you respond to it.

0 comments: