Search This Blog

Formal vs Informal Compliment Learning Objectives In this lesson, you will learn formal compliment and how it differs from the informal one....

Formal vs Informal Compliment


Formal vs Informal Compliment


Learning Objectives
In this lesson, you will learn formal compliment and how it differs from the informal one.
Lesson
In the lesson under the topic giving informal compliments, you have learned about complimenting a person in a casual way. Here, you will learn how to compliment a person in a more formal way. The following dialogue is based on the following setting.
Settings:
Mr Simon and Mr Jan meet in a party at their friend’s house. Mr Simon comes with his wife who is wearing simple yet elegant black nightgown.
Note: Pay attention to the parts in bold.
Mr Yaya: Hello, how are you?
Mr Simon: Fine, thank you. How are you?
Mr Yaya: Very well, thanks. Nice party, isn’t it?
Mr Simon: Yes nice. However, nothing compares to how my wife looks tonight.
Mr Yaya: Oh yes, of course. Mrs Simon, you are looking wonderful in your gown.
Mrs Simon: Thank you. That’s a nice compliment. My husband gave this as a present for my birthday.
Mr Simon: You deserved it, my dear. (Mr Simon says to his wife)
In the dialogue, the expressions in bold are the way people give compliments. The dialogue also shows how to respond to a compliment formally. It is important to remember, when people say polite things to you, you should respond them politely, too.
Here, Mr Yaya is complimenting Mrs Simon who is wearing simple but elegant gown by saying “You are looking wonderful in your gown.” Getting this compliment, Mrs Simon thanking Mr Yaya by saying “That’s a nice compliment.”
You can use the above compliment or you can choose one of the following formal compliments expressions:
You are looking beautiful today.
May I be so bold as to compliment your blue outfit
May I pay you a compliment? You really look elegant today.
I hope you don’t mind, but you are looking great today.
Tips
The above compliments are used when you want to show your admiration to a person’s appearance in a formal way. When it is a person’s skills or possessions to admire, you can choose the following expressions.
Complimenting someone’s skills
I admire your ability to sew.
My compliments on your cooking.
You are a fine writer.
I must say you really know how to sketch.
You can really subtitle.
If you don’t mind my saying, you are an incredible artist.
What an amazing singer you are!
I wish I could draw as well as you!
Complimenting possessions
What an interesting view you have from your bedroom.
I couldn’t help but notice your beautiful hair.
What a lovely smile you have!
You have such an obedient monkey.
You have such a cozy house.
I have to admit I’m jealous of your achievement.
Key Points
So, what are the differences between informal and formal compliment?
* Formal compliment is longer than the informal one.
* Formal compliment is used to compliment a person that you don’t know very well, while an informal compliment is delivered to a person that has a close relation to the speaker.

0 comments: